Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Blog Journal #2

I have used Microsoft words many times as a student in middle and high school. In middle school I wasn't too familiar with the program but found it very easy to get used to and I appreciated its simplicity. In high school classwork was a lot more technology based, and MS work was my go-to program. I have now been using it for several years and it is the only thing I use to take notes and work on assignments. While I haven't used every feature it has to offer, I do like the program and it is my preference.

The standard I found most meaningful was 2.5 Designer. The designer category sets the standard for personalizing independent learning opportunities for a variety of students. I find this the most meaningful because it talks about using technology to our advantage in accommodating to students needs. I think it is very important to remember to meet students where they are instead of assuming they know pre-requisite information. With the technology and resources available to us today, we have no excuse to overlook students' level of understanding. We can also create authentic work that fits the lesson being taught perfectly. Using technology, we can make otherwise boring paper assignments fun and engaging in order to keep students attention.

I do agree with the term "digital native" for todays youth for the most part. I think that the younger generations who grew up with technology all around them are instinctively better equipped to use it. Looking around today, it is safe to assume that the majority of kids as young as 3 and up have used their parents' phone at one time or another whether it be to watch a YouTube video or play a children's game. Technology has changed the way people think because so much information is readily available to us at all times and we can know the answer to our question with a few clicks of a keyboard. I think todays generation is more open minded for those reasons. I have noticed that some teachers and students have pretty big gaps in learning styles and it has made me think about how different lessons could have been made more interactive and interesting if it was presented in a different way than the teacher went with it. I'm sure my future students will know how to use technology much better than I will but keeping this in mind I will make sure I do what I can to get on their level to ensure they have an enjoyable education experience.


School Bus by Markus Kniebes is licensed under CC0

















1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts about technology for sure! It definitely has changed everything we know about the world and how we function in it. I like your thoughts on how it betters the world, too. Another thing that struck me that you mentioned was about getting on the level of your students. I REALLY like this point. I think it is a quality every great teacher has and a valuable piece of knowledge to work by. Your students will be lucky to have you!!

    ReplyDelete

End of semester meme